Can anyone do pilates?
Pilates and GYROTONIC® exercise is beneficial for people of all ages, fitness levels and body conditions. The methods are like a bridge between physical fitness and physical therapy, and can be adapted, modified and customized for individual needs. Some advanced moves and sequences will challenge the most elite athlete and yet others are manageable for even the frailest physique.
What should I wear to my sessions?
You can workout in socks or bare feet. Clients should wear comfortable clothing that isn’t too baggy. This allows the instructor to see your alignment and better correct your form.
How long are classes?
All sessions and classes are 50-55 minutes in length.
How often should I do Pilates to see results?
We recommend Pilates be practiced 2-3 times per week in order to see results.
When will I notice results?
A famous quote by Joseph Pilates states: “In 10 classes you will feel the difference, In 20 classes you will see the difference, and in 30 classes you will have a whole new body.” It is also important to maintain a proper diet and engage in other activities such as cardio.
If I am new to the studio, do I have to complete a first time introduction?
No, but we strongly encourage it. The introduction session allows a new client to work one on one with an instructor and discuss their goals and needs. If a client has injuries or chronic pain it is important to understand modifications and the fundamental principles of the method before joining a class.
What is the difference between matwork and equipment work?
Both matwork and equipment work follow the same fundamental principles. In matwork, your main resistance is the weight of your own body and supporting that weight while performing a wide variety of exercises. When working with equipment you will work against the weight of springs for resistance and stability. The equipment helps assist people to accomplish some of the exercises, therefore, many people will find that matwork is more challenging. The equipment is most beneficial with clients that might experience chronic back pain or have other physical limitations. If a client is physically capable of doing both matwork and equipment it is recommended that both systems are used for maximum results.
Do I need an appointment to attend classes or can I drop in?
A client needs to make an appointment for all Private and Semi-Private sessions. For classes, it is preferable to make an appointment as class space is limited.
What are the benefits of Pilates?
With regular committed Pilates workouts you can expect to:
- Improve strength, flexibility and balance
- Tone and build long, lean muscles without bulk
- Challenge deep abdominal muscles to support the core
- Engage the mind and enhance body awareness
- Condition efficient patterns of movement making the body less prone to injury
- Reduce stress, relieve tension, boost energy through deep stretching
- Restore postural alignment
- Create a stronger, more flexible spine
- Promote recovery from strain or injury
- Increase joint range of motion
- Improve circulation
- Heighten neuromuscular coordination
- Offer relief from back pain and joint stress
- Correct over-training of muscle groups which can lead to stress and injury
- Enhance mobility, agility and stamina
- Compliment sports training and develop functional fitness for daily life activity
- Improve the way your body looks and feels
Can I do Pilates if I am pregnant?
Yes. Pilates is wonderful for pre/post pregnancy as it is a gentle, low impact way to support your body, pelvis, abdominal muscles and can assist in a quicker recovery. We have an instructor trained in pregnancy and Pilates.